A woman who used to wash her husband’s asbestos-laden work overalls over four decades ago has died from the asbestos related cancer, mesothelioma. The woman from Marlborough in the UK was a pensioner when she was diagnosed with the cancer last year.

Her seventy seven year old husband, Eric, was devastated that his clothes and profession had caused her cancer. He said he had worked at a builder’s merchants for nine months in the 1960s, and this is when his wife, Olive, had washed his clothes, which had asbestos on them.

Eric said: “I only worked for them for nine months and it cost me my wife’s life. I feel awful about what my wife went through, but she put on a brave front and not once did she complain.”

He went on to state: “But I’m very pragmatic. It’s happened. You can’t turn the clock back, unfortunately, so what’s the point of getting angry?” he added: “It’s very easy to be clever after the event, but once people were aware they did do something about it. It was just one of those things. You didn’t realise you were handling it. They say ignorance is bliss.”

Be Sociable, Share!