Because she is protected from cruel and unusual punishment

Too bad her victim wasn’t afforded the same protection.

In March of 2005, Teresa Moses called police to report her belief that a family member had molested her son, Raijon Daniels. Detectives investigated, but found no evidence. Police say Teresa failed to return their calls or put them in touch with a witness she’d cited in her report. In August of 2005, the DA investigated, but found no evidence. The case was closed.

In April and May of 2005, Teresa Moses wrote letters to the elementary school her son attended, complaining that the school lunches he was receiving did not meet his special dietary needs. She asked that the school stop providing him with food. The school promptly contacted CFS with concerns about the child’s behavior and his diet. A social worker completed a phone investigation and the case was dismissed without merit.

In July of 2005, a patron of a fast-food restaurant called police because a little boy had been playing unattended on the restaurant’s jungle gym for two hours. Raijon told the officer he ran away from home because his babysitter used handcuffs on him. The officer saw no injuries on him, and he denied that his mother abused him, so the officer took him home to his mother.

The officer’s report was forwarded to CFS for investigation. A social worker again completed a phone investigation without action.

On November 23, 2005, Raijon again ran away from home, by jumping out the window of his second-floor apartment about 8 am. His mother reported him missing about two hours later. Once again, the child bore no visible marks and he stated that his mother didn’t hurt him. Once again, he was returned home to his mother and once again, CFS found no cause to take action.

On Friday, October 27, Teresa Moses called 911 to report that her son was frothing at the mouth and unresponsive.

When police arrived at the apartment, a pine scented cloud of vapor greeted them, burning their eyes. The vapor emanated from Raijon’s room, where cops found several opened containers of cleaning solution, some of them empty. Raijon’s room featured nothing but a bed and a small table with a baby monitor camera on it. The sheets and covers were duct taped to the bed, his window was locked and his door had a lock on the outside. Police say the little boy was held hostage in his bedroom to prevent him escaping again.

Raijon spent most of his time locked in his room, being watched through the baby monitor by his mother. He was rarely permitted outside, and then only under the watchful eye of his mother. He ate his meals — pureed in a blender — from a cup in his room. His mother said he couldn’t have solid foods because he’d throw the food. He was permitted one bathroom break per night.

Raijon apparently frequently went to the bathroom on himself and in his room, Detective Sgt. Mitch Peixoto said. His mother viewed the behavior as resistance.

“She said whenever she would get back from work, he would defecate on himself. She thought he was doing mind games with her,” Peixoto said. “I think he did it because he was scared whenever she came home.”

Further investigation turned up copious vomit in the bathroom and Raijon’s bedroom and empty containers of cleaner. Moses told detectives that she had poured the caustic contents of one container on her son’s genitals earlier in the day to discourage him from urinating on himself.

Around 5:00 pm she served him his dinner — a cup of thick brown goo that she claimed was spaghetti and beans — and locked him in his bedroom. A short while later she noticed him on the baby monitor “doing a Stevie Wonder” in her words. When she went to check on him, he was frothing at the mouth and unresponsive. She immediately called 911. Paramedics arrived about 5:15 pm but could not revive him.

At the hosptial, doctors observed welts and bruises in various stages of healing, in addition to rope marks on his limbs, chemical burns and bed sores. Doctors believe the boy was tortured for more than a year before he swallowed household cleaner in an apparent effort to end his misery.

Raijon was eight years old.

Teresa Moses has been arrested on suspicion of murder, torture and child endangerment. Her three year old daughter has been placed in protective custody, but does not appear to have been abused.

Inside Bay Area – Mother arrested in son’s death | Kate blogs at The Original Musings.

Be Sociable, Share!