It has been reported that the health of a number of volunteer students in Michigan has been put at risk recently, after the teens volunteered to help out with the clean up at Michigan Central Train Station. The students volunteered to help last month but were exposed to a potentially deadly substance, asbestos.

Asbestos exposure can lead to a range of serious health problems including respiratory problems, scarring of the lungs, and mesothelioma, which is a form of asbestos cancer for which there is no cure. Michigan billionaire Manuel “Matty” Maroun took on the students to help with the cleanup of the station.

The station was built in the early 1900s, and a lot of asbestos was used in its construction. The station has been out of use since the 1980s, and officials were concerned that the asbestos could cause harmful exposure because of its age and the state that it was in.

The teens were involved in taking out debris and bricks from the station, and also sweeping the floors, which would have resulted in dust and debris floating into the air and being swallowed. Many are now concerned over how much asbestos dust the teens may have swallowed.

Be Sociable, Share!