jeremiahOn December 17, 2013 I wrote a news story about a 5 year old boy, Jeremiah Oliver that has apparently been missing since September, despite the fact that the Department of Children and Families were supposed to have a social worker checking on the boy.

No one seemed to question the boy not being seen until a staff member at the Reingold Elementary School noticed Jeremiah’s 7 year old sister acting aggressively towards her classmates. After the DCF was contacted they questioned the girl and she told them that she had witnessed her mother’s boyfriend, Alberto Sierra, punch her brothers and hit them with a belt that caused one of them to bleed. She also said that the pinky finger on one of her brothers appeared to have been cut off. She said the man had beaten both her and her mother also. That is when she told them that her brother was last seen alive on September 14, 2013 by a relative.

The missing boy’s case is being treated as a potential homicide case and the boyfriend, Alberto Sierra Jr. 23, and the mother of the children, Elsa Oliver, 28, have been arrested. Sierra is facing two counts of assault and battery of a child causing bodily injury and two counts of assault and battery with a deadly weapon and he has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Elsa has refused court orders to tell the courts where her son is so she is being held in contempt of court. She has also pleaded not guilty to criminal charges.

Besides Jeremiah, there are two other children involved here. Since the investigation began in the case of the missing boy the other two children have been placed in a state administered foster home. The father of the children did an interview with The Boston Globe telling them that he was seeking custody of his other two children despite the fact that he has a criminal record including an arrest for possession of heroin and a charge of assault and battery. He claimed he was a changed man and planned to ask the courts not to judge him because of his past when making a decision of the custody request.

This all sounds fine but it seems Jose Oliver messed up. Two days before the custody hearing, he got busted. New Britain Police Sept. Lt. Jeanette Saccente, Jose Oliver was arrested and charged with possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of narcotics within 1500 feet of a school and criminal attempt of sale of narcotics. Saccente said they had received information that he was involved in drug trafficking.

Now I wonder what is going to happen to those kids now. Surely the courts won’t give Jose Oliver custody now. Well I would like to think that anyway but after all we know now how the DCF handled this case with the welfare of these children. Let’s hope they won’t let the kids down again. Poor Jeremiah was let down and now is presumed to be dead somewhere. I pray to God that the others won’t get the same treatment. I pray they are placed somewhere where they will be kept safe and allowed to grow up with a normal life. I still pray for Jeremiah but I also pray for the 7 year old girl and the 9 year old boy too.

Jan Barrett

Be Sociable, Share!