A Christmas even that was to be held in the town of Walsall in the West Midlands , England, has had to be cancelled as a result of the discovery of deadly asbestos at the venue where the event was to be held. Asbestos exposure can cause serious health problems, such as respiratory problems, scarring of the lungs, and a form of cancer known as mesothelioma.

The asbestos was discovered at a Doe Bank Park building, and the site was intended to be used as part of Santa’s grotto at the festive event. The local council discovered the presence of the asbestos, and subsequently called off the Christmas event due to the risk of exposure.

Tim Challans, Walsall Council assistant director of leisure, stated: “We regret having to cancel what is traditionally a very popular event in the community but people’s health and safety cannot be compromised.”

An official from the council for the town added: “There are many other seasonal events going on around the borough.”

Be Sociable, Share!