A game of hide-and-seek turned deadly for a little boy in Plattsmouth, Nebraska. James Cook, 6, was found dead Monday night while playing the game with his nine-year-old sister. He was said to have crawled into an old microwave and suffocated when he was unable to free himself.
The microwave was one of a pile of items in the back of a pickup truck that the Cook family had planned to take to the dump on Saturday. James had been missing for two-and-a-half hours when he was found by family members who had started the search after an hour had gone by. Another factor in the boyâ€™s death may have been the 91-degree heat that the children were playing in. Being an older model, the Sharp brand microwave was 15 inches wide, 10 inches high, and 12 inches deep. It was placed with its back door up. Unlike todayâ€™s models, it wasnâ€™t spring-loaded.
James was said to be 44 inches tall and weigh 45 pounds, a normal size for a boy his age. After the accident, the microwave was taken to the dump on Tuesday, the family unable to bear the sight of it. Accidents are known to be the leading cause of deaths for children between the ages of five to 9 years old. They account for 42% of the .017% death rate (or 1 in 5,000) for children of this age. A far second place is cancer at 14.7%. Experts hope that upon hearing this story that parents will inform their children not to crawl into appliances and warn them of the risks involved in taking such a chance.