By Honey Gillard
 
A recent Northern Territory report has found that Aboriginal children as young as three are falling victim to extensive sex abuse highly fuelled by “rivers of grog”, pornography and a lack of education
 
The report visited remote Northern Territory communities and found that child abuse was apparent in all 45.
 
Co-chair Pat Anderson, who released the grim report last Friday, claimed that children were being exposed to pornography at a young age and then later mimicking the actions with one another.
 
The children were also reportedly abused by both indigenous and non-indigenous adults.
 
Ms Anderson blamed a lack of education and rampant alcoholism as the chief causes of the alarming problem.
 
She said: “A river of grog is running through and destroying remote communities. There is a strong association between alcohol abuse, violence and the sexual abuse of children.”
 
Anderson added to the report saying: “Children as young as three have been exposed to pornographic material and videos in their homes.”
 
“This has been seen by community and social workers who observed the children imitating sexual behaviour with each other.”
 
The inquiry’s 316-page report into the Protection of Aboriginal Children from Sexual Abuse made 97 recommendations, including improving procedures for reporting and monitoring offenders, addressing pervasive poverty and alcoholism and tightening ropes on pornography laws.

Co-chairman Rex Wild, QC, remained adamant as he warned of a “disaster” looming over indigenous communities if the government didn’t get their act together soon and stop playing politics and work together to implement a long-term strategy to manage this crisis.
 
“Unless action is taken we are utterly convinced a disaster is looming,” Mr Wild said.
 
One of the cases referred to in the report is an account of local police officers turning a blind eye to a “rampant informal sex trade” between young Aboriginal girls and non-Aboriginal mine workers.
 
Girls, aged between the tender ages of 12 and 15, were purportedly provided with alcohol and cash, as well as other goods as a trade for sex with local mine workers.
                       
Police revealed to the inquiry that they were alert of the ongoing sex trade but claimed that there was little in which they could do due to a “culture of silence”.
 
Another case, which is currently facing the courts, involves a non-Aboriginal health worker who is assumed to have exchanged goods, drugs and attention to a number of local children for sex. When questioned about the man one 15-year–old described him as her “boyfriend”.
 
Northern Territory Chief Minister Clare Martin spoke of the distressing events claiming that not enough had been done to stop the suffering of children.
 
“This is a landmark report that will sadly expose the great pain and unhappiness of many people,” she said.
 
“It is clear that not enough has been done to tackle the abuse of Aboriginal children.”
 
“I commit the government to implement the key action areas of this report and get on with the job of tackling this deeply disturbing issue.”
 
The inquest was set up by the Northern Territory government last June, after the surfacing of seversal widespread reports of child sexual abuse in remote areas of central Australia.
 
To read more from me, Honey, visit my blog – honeyz818.wordpress.com
 
Sources: theage.com.au
            news.com.au

Be Sociable, Share!