A regular reader of my blogs has become so irritated at Leftists labeling Texas Gov. Perry as â€œanti scienceâ€, that he has sent the following for me to publish:
In the context of labeling Texas Gov Rick Perry as â€œanti scienceâ€ over his skepticism about Global Warming (thousands of â€œreal scientistsâ€ agree with him), here is MY not so humble opinion:
* I have an MD from SUNY Buffalo, a Residency in Anesthesiology at Mass General Hospital (Harvard U) and a PhD from Mass Institute of Technology in biological science. So I might be considered a â€œscience guyâ€.
* NASA is in Texas. Texas Medical Center, with more than 50, 000 employees dedicated to science and the practice of medicine, is unique in all the world. UT Houston Medical School matches grants 1 to 1, unheard of elsewhere.
* Texas Southwestern University in Dallas has a number of Nobel Prize winners.
* Funding of University of Texas and Texas A&M University is, in part, by the â€œpermanent university fundâ€, by dividends from oil money; for physical plant, second to none.
* Many â€œhigh techâ€ businesses have descended on Austin, perhaps, in part, of â€œdeal makingâ€ by Perry and others.
The list goes on. But for me, itâ€™s personal:
At age 67, I have 4 children who graduated from Lubbock HS in Lubbock, TX (the â€œtown in the rear view mirrorâ€). All 4 were on the Lubbock HS Math and Science Team. IVY colleges recruited there.
* Daughter Jane (now age 39, with son Roey â€“ age 3 this week) graduated from Columbia U in History and Sociology, and attained a Masters in Statistics from Columbia U. PhD from UC Berkeley. Now studying Russian Economics at U AZ Tucson.
* Son Tom was Math and Science champion of Texas, Team won national competition, got trip to DC (photo with First Lady Barbara Bush) and Australia courtesy of Supercollider Project. Grad Cal Tech, now programmer in Santa Barbara CA.
* Son Scott got BA Biology from Rice U, now Pharm D from Midwestern U in Phoenix.
* Daughter Leslie got degree in Computer Science from Bryn Mawr in Philly, now programmer (troubleshooter) for Microsoft in Seattle.
So PLEASE â€“ donâ€™t give me this crap about Texans or Perry being â€œanti scienceâ€.
Posted by John J. Ray (M.A.; Ph.D.). For a daily critique of Leftist activities, see DISSECTING LEFTISM. To keep up with attacks on free speech see TONGUE-TIED. Also, don’t forget your daily roundup of pro-environment but anti-Greenie news and commentary at GREENIE WATCH . Email me here