â€œHome invasions are especially frightening because the robber may not care who is home or who gets hurt,â€ states News 12.
Weâ€™ve often discussed how the home invader lacks a certain gene that many of us have called â€œcompassionâ€. A home invader thrives on the chaos, fear and panic of a home invasion and ultimately the invader doesnâ€™t care if anyone gets hurt. Home invaders often take their act to another level and go far beyond â€œtheftâ€ and escalate to physical violence that involves beatings, rape and torture often resulting in murder.
In Richmond City GA, Richmond County reports at least fifteen robberies or burglaries in the past two weeks during which the victims were at home. Sometimes it seems like the suspect intended to meet the victim; other times they were surprised to find them home. Usually, there is no way to predict a home invasion. Their Lieutenant stated â€œthere’s two main reasons why a criminal actually would want to meet his victim: “The main motivations are drugs and money.” One of the victim also said “I was shaking. I was scared. I wasn’t crying but I had tears in my eyes…I thought, ‘Oh my God, I’m about to die.’”
Wow. Very powerful words, and all too real. Listen to me: Iâ€™m a realist. I believe I see things pretty much for what they are. I donâ€™t think things are getting â€œworseâ€™, but they are definitely getting a little out of hand here and there. There is no reason to live in fear, and you also need to put systems in place so you donâ€™t end up in this situation.
Every family must have a plan for home security and home security alarm.
- Get a trained German shepherd.
- Another consideration is a home safe-room also known as a â€œpanic roomâ€ where families can hide out in a relatively bullet proof, well stocked room equipped with wireless communications and wait for law enforcement to show up.
- Never talk to strangers via an open or screen door. Always talk to them through a locked door.
- NEVER let children open the doors. Always require and adult to do it.
- Not all home invaders knock, some break in without warning. Just another reason to have that home alarm on.
- Install a 24-hour camera surveillance system. Security cameras are a great deterrent. Have them pointed to every door and access point.