The Race To Terra Incognita
Kathleen Wilson has produced a very readable work of Science Fantasy with her new book Rumer & Qix, and I am sure it will appeal to the young adult reader, and also general fans of the fantasy genre.
Set 1000 years in the future Kathleen Wilson paints an interesting view of what life on earth may be like, a very different place from the planet we know. Actually her core theme is an intriguing one, the world is effectively controlled by the Alpha corporation, this company has risen to power as the result of discovering a ‘miracle’ material, lightweight, strong, and able to recreate almost any object. Discovered in the 21st century Syncov has gradually taken over. So pervasive is the use of Syncov that there is almost nothing natural remaining. We have synthetic air, synthetic food, synthetic clothes, synthetic trees, synthetic everything!
The Alpha corporation themselves think that their material may well cover 99% of the planet, sheer greed prompts a search for that remaining 1%.
Some recent equipment developments has revealed that there are still trace elements like oxygen triggering the hunt. The CEO of Alpha, Dr. BigCo sets about assembling a team to track down the suspected 1% left of the natural earth.
Rumer is a 16 year old apprentice reporter assigned to cover stories about Alpha, Qix is her animet (a highly intelligent animatronic pet). Rumer becomes interested in some news reports, a sighting of a blade of grass, a butterfly, even a tree. These things have not existed for over 500 years, she wants to understand what is going on.
Meanwhile in the magic 1% of nature that remains the mystical ruler MoNa watches in horror, only she knows the dire consequences to the planet if her kingdom is revealed. If Alpha finds this one remaining and very remote place it will cause the death of the planet. Somehow a plan must be hatched. The citizens must be made aware of the grave danger they face.
It is Rumer who is selected to be the emissary, contact is made with her and she is persuaded to make the journey to TerraVerse. But can one 16 year old apprentice make a difference?
Kathleen Wilson also manages to squeeze in a rather neat subplot concerning Rumer’s dead parents. This subplot is used to good effect and furthers the overall message of leaving nature alone.
I think Kathleen Wilson has a bright future in this genre, her writing style should be appealing to her target audience. Surprisingly there is also a very genuine message about messing with nature. One only has to look at our current problems with global warming to see the danger signs of altering the natural world. I would say that Rumer & Qix is a good first start.Â The use of ‘invented’ words is to say the least creative, and quite clever.