A verdict has recently been given over the death of a UK woman who died in April of this year. Following the inquest the coroner recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease. The woman, Victoria Powell, aged sixty four, died after being diagnosed with the asbestos related cancer, mesothelioma.
It was reported that the woman had never worked with asbestos in her life or been near to any asbestos facilities, but had developed the asbestos related cancer as a result of exposure to her father’s clothes as a child, as he worked as a maintenance worker for a power station.
Mrs Powell was diagnosed with the cancer in October of last year, and died from the disease in April of this year. Speaking about her father, Mrs Powell’s widower stated: â€œHe would bring his clothing home with asbestos on it. Following his death Victoria had kept one of his jackets.â€
The coroner stated: â€œWithout the industrial exposure of her father bringing asbestos home on his clothes, Victoria Powell would not have died of malignant mesothelioma related to asbestos exposure. Although she herself was not exposed in the workplace, this is related to an industrial disease.â€