There is a happy news for IT industry in India. Despite whatever may happen worldwide, now there is a plan for bringing in revolutionary chages that may enable India take giant steps towards realizing its goal to be an IT super power in the world.
The indications are available in the IT Vision document that BJP has released as a part of its election strategy. Many of the indications are a long time wish list of several persons including the undersigned.
Some of the salient features worth repeating here are
1. Encouragement to Open source software
2.Encouragement to hardware industry
3. Bringing India on par with China in IT hardware.
4. Creating 20 IT related jobs in each pf 6 lakh villages in India
5. “Duty to Inform” to supplement RTI
6. Increasing mobile penetration
7. Unlimited VOIP telephony
8. Unlimited broadband at around Rs 200 pm (current cost is around 1000+ pm)
9. Bringing in Digital Sovereignty through reduction in theÂ strangulating effect ofÂ IPR on Internet usage.
10. Language compatibility for software in 22 languages
11.Laptops at Rs 10000/-
12. E-Education, E-Justice, National ID card and several other e-Governance initiatives
A very important adjuct is a “National Cyber Security plan” along with a center for Cyber Warfare, Cyber Counter-Terrorism etc.
It is also envisaged that steps would be taken to make India a “Hosting Destination”
These developments if implemented would give a high boost to the domestic IT industry which will further lead to spin off developments in content development, hardware, security and other sectors. It will also provide a big boost to the stock markets in India which has a very high weightage for IT companies.
We hope the IT work force in India as well as their dependents will see the enormous benefits that lie in store for the industry if these projects are implemented even partially.
We need to wait and see how this important information be communicated in such a manner that it will be welcomed not only in cities but also in villages.
There is no doubt that BJP has pulled aÂ valuableÂ strategy which not only may benefit it in theÂ elecgtion but also has the potential to address the recession and make India a super power in IT.