Aggressive asbestos testing has been carried out at a firehouse after recent renovation work resulted in some asbestos in the building being disturbed. This raised concerns over asbestos dust and fibers being released into the air, as they can then be breathed in by people and can cause health problems such as scarring of the lungs, respiratory problems, and a deadly form of cancer known as mesothelioma.

A specialist asbestos company, Regulatory Compliance Management, was called in to carry out the testing. It is thought that the asbestos was disturbed whilst work was being carried out on a water damaged interior wall at the Homewood Firehouse.

Village officials have stated that the results of the testing showed that there was no asbestos in the air. Four administrative offices had been closed off for the testing to be carried out, and these will remain closed off until renovation work has been completed.

Testing has been carried out over the past two weeks, and one official stated: “The entire area has been cleared for occupancy by the Illinois Department of Public Health.”

Be Sociable, Share!