A recent report has claimed that Aussie residents in the Bendigo Central Business District are concerned that they may have been exposed to the potentially deadly carcinogenic asbestos. The residents are from a community house which is in a one hundred year old building, where the exposure may have taken place.

It was claimed that around twelve residents may have been exposed to asbestos at Mitchell House in Mitchell Street . Exposure to airborne asbestos dust and fibers can result in a range of health problems, including the deadly asbestos related cancer known as mesothelioma.

However, according to officials from the Department of Human Services all of the asbestos has been removed from the basement area of the building, and no residents suffered exposure to the deadly substance. According to the residents work was carried out on the building over a year ago, and the residents were assured that there was no risk from asbestos.

One resident stated: “There were big holes in the floor and ceiling and this is very drafty place. I contacted the Department of Housing and it reassured me there was nothing to worry about, then next thing I see this warning about asbestos pinned to the door and it has locked us out us out of the basement.”

Be Sociable, Share!