Residents in Patea in New Zealand have been warned to be on their guard by the South Taranaki District Council and health and emergency services. This comes after a fire in which three hundred residents had to be evacuated, and the warning was issues amidst fears that the fire may have resulted in asbestos contamination.

Asbestos is a potentially deadly substance, which can cause a range of health problems through exposure to airborne fibers and dust, including respiratory problems, scarring of the lungs, and a form of cancer known as mesothelioma.

The evacuated residents were allowed to return to their properties later in the day, but were warned that the effects of asbestos could still be a risk, and that they should keep their windows closed and wash all vegetables.

A town official said that although consumers had been warned to keep windowsn and doors shut he ws confident that it was safe for them to return to those homes. He said: “There’s probably no danger, but just in case there is – keep your windows shut.”

Be Sociable, Share!